Front Pads Replacement

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Northern

Northern

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:21 PM

Seen as your going to do a guide for the back ones next mate, it'd be good it you could explain the pads too please ? I changed my rear pads and discs a couple of days ago and had a 'really bad' time trying to get the disc and pads in. Getting the caliper/outer pad/disc all in place was a nightmare, even with the caliper piston screwed right in. Be really good if you could explain that little jigsaw puzzle thumbsup

#22 Robski

Robski

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:32 AM

Seen as your going to do a guide for the back ones next mate, it'd be good it you could explain the pads too please ?

I changed my rear pads and discs a couple of days ago and had a 'really bad' time trying to get the disc and pads in.
Getting the caliper/outer pad/disc all in place was a nightmare, even with the caliper piston screwed right in.

Be really good if you could explain that little jigsaw puzzle thumbsup

As Ricky started this thread in May 2003 I suspect he's already done the guide for the rears.
You should be able to find it using the search facility filtered by Ricky's user name thumbsup

Rob

#23 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:15 AM

No, I beat him to it. The rears guide is under my name... Steve

#24 Steve Crisp

Steve Crisp

Billy No Mates

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Interests:VX220's...

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:18 AM

Here you go...
http://www.vx220.org...&t=1686&hl=rear

#25 Northern

Northern

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:45 AM

Thanks v.muchly thumbsup

#26 VXTlover

VXTlover

• PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

Thank you so much for the guide. You gave me confidence to do the job myself and save me some cash. thumbsup

#27 Ferguson

Ferguson

Need to get Out More

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

Having done my fronts today, I used the old pads to protect the pistons as I pushed them back into the caliper (i.e. put a thin tool between the old pad and disc and pryed them outwards. Don't know if this is a good or bad idea, but it seemed to ensure that I was pushing evenly on the piston, and also no chance of cutting the piston seal.

Also, I saw this neat little trick on an Elise site for starting to pry the pads apart to clear the small ridge at the outside of the disc:

Posted Image

I didn't do this, but maybe not a bad idea.

#28 Muzzy

Muzzy

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:23 AM

Did my front pads yesterday as well. Took all of 20 minutes...very straight forward. Put on Mintex 1144S (£39 from Autovaux) and they make a big difference (the old ones were fooked).

#29 hairy

hairy

Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, nature

Posted 12 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

Is it just me, or have the pictures for this been removed? Can anyone re-post them for me. Thanks http://www.vx220.org...supgraemlin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users